Saturday, December 29, 2012

Why It Sucks to Be a Boss

I've come to a realization that I need to suck a little more and be awesome just a little less.

I would get paid more.

See, I get paid hourly at the barn. More than minimum wage, so thats pretty nice. There are 17 horses there and I have to do the usual: bring in, feed, turn out, clean stalls, waters, hay, drag rings and sweep. It sounds like a lot...and it kind of is.

My problem is not the amount of work, but how efficient I am. Its kind of ridiculous. I've always been the kind of person to make one trip and do as many things as possible and have it be difficult/annoying than make several small, easy trips. In anything- school, errands...barn. I take pride in it actually. I feel like its one of my "sellable" skills (resume lingo?).

Its proving to be detrimental to my wallet.

Whereas the other workers rack up 4-5 hours every shift, I'm there 3 or less. AND I do just as good a job, sometimes better.

Multitasking here is not my friend and being efficient is cramping mah style. I've come to the conclusion I need to dial the boss meter back a few notches and maybe I will start to see a little more cash flow.

Tried it yesterday and it was painful. I hated it. I felt so awkward taking my time, walking slower, not piling the manure precariously (to make less trips), not making giant trips stacking hay on sawdust, not taking 2 horses out to pasture at a time, etc etc...but I ended up being there for 4 hours. Better than 2.5? Maybe. But I don't think I can do it long term.

It sucks being legit.

3 comments:

  1. I hear you! I work the same way and it is always a trial...work less hard get paid more?? I see it ALL the time. Kills me actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yeah. That would suck. I get paid hourly, but I tell myself that by doing the best job in the least time possible, I'm setting myself up to get more hours...

    Let's not think to hard about that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the EXACT same way!!!! In fact it drives me crazy that my coworkers aren't as efficient... lol!

    ReplyDelete