Monday, February 6, 2017

Shoulder Rubs

Besides being the most balls out crazy ass winter in terms of temperature fluctuations (fun fact: temp is rising by 33* today! GAH) its also been the first that my boys shoulders have not gotten a single rub. Interesting.

I have tried every blanket under the sun (literally) and have spent a small fortune on clothing my spoiled brats, to no avail. Every year they would start to pin their ears when I would start put their blankets back on and the dreaded shoulder rubs would appear despite my best efforts to keep them at bay with hair conditioner AND shoulder sleezies.

Last year, I replaced almost all my blankets with Amigo's, because sale, save for stable sheets. Luckily, the Amigo's layer well and I haven't had to use my older stable sheets at all. There was an epic deal somewhere (I want to say Dover) and I snagged four blankets for like $300, medium and heavy weight. It was like winning the blanket lotto. With those additions, I made a matching complete set for each of my boys, since they each already had the lightweights (nabbed them off ETT for dirt cheap). Unintentional matching, but winning nonetheless.

modeling his medium

I am seriously in love. I don't know what it is about them, but the boys have yet to snarl at me when I go to put the blankets back on after a ride and they have not a one rub on their shoulders. I am also a fan of the quick closures that can be done up with gloves on quite easily.


The only downside I will say is that they are not the sturdiest things. B is an exceptional shredder and he has killed two of the lightweights sheets already, and torn the butt on his medium. However, I am pretty damn good with a needle and thread and I just sew them up with wax thread and waterproof the rip afterwards. Better than buying a new blanket!

Yanks in his lightweight

Otherwise though, I love them! Anyone else have blankets that have just really worked for them?

21 comments:

  1. I have a mismatched hodgepodge of blankets but my life goal is to someday have matching sets for my competition horses... Preferably in teal 😂 your boys look sharp!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a perfect world B would have teal too! But the blankets had red piping and they were cheap. Yankee's colors are now red and black with his leaser, so THAT at least works! But, they both have the same so they're also just extra adorable and matching

      Delete
  2. I always totally cheap out on blankets and then regret it later! They never fit quite right... The only one I have that I love is my Weatherbeeta heavy. It fits the pony perfectly, doesn't rub too much, and has a nice big tail flap to keep his wee little butt warm. I really want one with the integrated neck, but, money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that one, with the neck and Yanks HATED it. It rubbed him almost raw. I cried because I spent a solid $300 on it I think, WAH

      Delete
  3. I went through many different brands of blankets (Amigo included) and shoulder guards before I finally just gave up and bought the HUG's this year. And Henry has nary even a hair out of place, they're fantastic. I love all the shoulder freedom he has in them, I wish I'd bought them sooner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been meaning to thank you. My guy gets terrible shoulder rubs, even with his sleezy, and the HUG I got after reading your recommendation is awesome.

      Delete
  4. I love my Amigos as well. Dee has a full line of them because they are th only thing that don't rub her shoulders. Thankfully she's a lady (and top of the pecking order) so they rarely sustain any damage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roger is generally pretty good to his clothing (except when he removes it in turnout with all the buckles still buckled....hes a magician), but he really bulked up between last year and this year, so I had to replace his medium. I picked up the SP Ultimate turnout w the high neck on a super sale, and have been pretty happy! Plus, the 10-year guarantee is totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have done several middle of the road brands, Weatherbeetas, Schneiders, Tough1, etc and bought Amigo's for App a couple of years ago. They really do fit him amazingly well and we get no rubs. And now that he isn't turned out with the "rough and rowdy crowd" (where he belongs) because he is half crippled, we haven't had any blanket rips. Glad yours are working just as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amigos scalped Houston. I hadn't tried them again since the blanket didn't hold up well until I needed something for Luna and found one cheap. I have slowly invested in Rambos for Annie so she now has a sheet, and medium with a liner in addition to her smartpak.

    Houston Coming back was unexpected so I had to run to Dover (gross) and I bought him a north wind sheet because it was on sale and I relish the opportunity to make Dover replace it forever. Then I found a medium weatherbeta in his size from riding Warehouse and snatched that up. Blanketing 3 horses is not the most fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miles destroyed his very first sheet this year... and I was so sad, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard really good things about Amigo blankets. Both of mine get bad shoulder rubs but luckily those sleezies have helped a lot

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both my mediums (high neck and standard neck) are Amigos and they're also the only brand I've found so far that doesn't rub bobby at all. Being affordable is a big bonus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its def nice to have finally found some blankets that work! I wouldn't call them affordable, but getting them on sale was legit. Otherwise I wouldn't have gotten them!

      Delete
  11. I like the StormShield® VTEK® Marathon Bellyband Turnout Blankets - the neck is adjustable, so no rubs!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got a crazy good deal on an amigo turnout sheet! I bought it in summer and tucked it away...then forgot about it. When I opened the trunk in winter it was joy all over again when I remembered. My colt only wore it twice before he ripped the shoulder......oh well. Getting it fixed!

    ReplyDelete