Thursday, January 23, 2014

Cruel Irony

Yesterday, a few days after my last post discussing bad luck and loss, my dear grandma gained her wings in heaven.

I did not take the news well and shut down completely for a few hours.

I had just been thinking about calling her to tell her I miss her when my phone rang....

I am not very good at putting together words in times like these, so I will share my favorite picture of her and my first horse, Dolly.

13 long years ago, the day I got my first horse
Grandma played a huge part in my horsey life and always loved my horses just like I did. We shared something no one else came close to in my life-the love for horses. She grew up with belgians and told me so many stories about them. I made her tell me over and over because I loved them so much.

She was a fabulous seamstress and would fix anything my crazy ponies ripped. She defended my sassy pony to my parents when she tossed me and they threatened to sell her. She made costumes for 4H costume class at fair. She braved the heat to sit and cheer me on at shows. She came with me on my secret mission to acquire my mini horses (much to my parents dismay, later when they came home to minis in the field!). She bought my mini, Z, her first harness and cart. She cried with me when Spirit died. And when she started to lose her mobility, she still made her best effort to come to a few shows.

I will miss this woman more than I can even describe and I don't really know how else to end this but by saying I love you!

7 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    I'm sure your grandmother found great pride and joy in your love of horses -- it's such a great thing to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost the only grandparent I ever knew ten years ago and I still miss her think of her often. Internet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of hugs, I'm so sorry you have to go through this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry. She sounds like an incredibly special lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry for your loss, how lovely you were able to share the love of horses with her.

    ReplyDelete