Monday, June 29, 2015

Card Game

So you all have been waiting with baited breath for an update. 

I put it off because it's not a great one. 

I still had a great horsey day, don't get me wrong. 

I just didn't do it with my horse. 

I knew it was doomed from the moment I went to bed the night before. 

It was pouring. Like the heavens opened up and just kept raining. The forecast was not good and I assumed I wouldn't even get to try and load him. 

I made a pact with myself, if it was dry at 630 we would attempt to load until it started raining again. And then we would be done. I didn't want to push him. 

I decided that it wasn't worth it to me to fight with him about the trailer and then ask him to just hang out and school at a show because I wanted to. 

So at 530 I gave him his dose of "sedation" and bustled about, crossing my fingers it would stop raining. 

It of course did, for one hour exactly and in that hour Bacardi refused to even step foot near the trailer. And the ground was soaked and slick and I was nervous to even use my lunging technique. 

I gave up when at 7:20am it began to pour rain again and my horse was still staring wild eyed at the trailer like it would eat him. 

This was madness. 

Even if he got on the trailer and we made it there, I would still have to get him back on. We were already late and wouldn't get to ride our tests anyways, so what was the point. 

So I put him back in his stall, tossed him hay and headed over to the grounds without him. 

Defeated. Annoyed. Disappointed. 

So disappointed. 

However, it soon became clear that even if B had cooperated, the day would've been disastrous. 

The weather was...horrible. 

Cold. Rainy. Windy. Wet. 

Absolutely disgusting. 

The warm up was 6inches of mud. Everyone and everything was coated in mud and wet. 

Levi was very upset with me hat I dare ask him to trounce through mud and stand outside in the spitting rain. 

For once, I was GLAD I wasn't riding. 

They ended up being an hour behind, which meant we could've still ridden, but the cards were not in our favor anyways. The mud and muck and rain and new place...would've just been too much for him. They ended up canceling all the jumping portions too, besides cross rails if that's an indicator of how nasty the footing was. 

So instead I got to watch all my friends ride, and video for them and have a merry cold time on the grounds. I also used a selfie stick that day and it was rather amusing. No judging. It wasn't mine. 

I did give up after a few hours, as I was soaked and cold, and headed home to pout a little. 

I'm still frustrated. 

I have this brilliant horse that moves like a floating angel across clouds, but if his ass won't get In a trailer....we can't do much with that. I intend on working on it, but yeah. It's still an issue. 

The rain did let up on Sunday and my mother and I tacked up for an evening ride. 

It was beautiful and chilly and quite relaxing and a positive way to end the weekend 

Majestic AF


  1. You are so amazing for still coming for as long as you did. That wide angle picture is crazy gorgeous.

  2. The weekend may have started out all wrong -- but what a great way to end the weekend -- those photos are amazing and it looks like you are having a great time. Levi "tailing" Barcardi just cracks me up.

  3. Sounds like it all worked out in a way!

  4. Those trail ride pictures are fabulous. Probably a better choice for him anyways.

  5. sorry you didn't make it to the show - but you guys will figure out the trailer thing eventually... just keep tryin! lovely pics tho - that sky is so dramatic!

  6. The first time I tried to load Jake it took 5 hours. The ONLY thing that worked was feeding him everyday in the trailer, after about 2-3 hours of attempts wherein he would rear pull back and generally be a fucker. But, I was 14 and had all the time in the world, I understand this isn't an option for you, but maybe just making him eat his feed NEAR the trailer as often as you can and then work it to where he's having to eat it off the floor of the trailer is a better option for us working stiffs. Trailer loading issues are a bitch man, good luck!! Sorry you didn't get to go to the show, Ohio blows sometimes.

    1. I should mention Jake auto loads now, so it does get better!

    2. I've already tried this my love. He doesn't seem to care about eating off the floor of it and will gladly do so....but ask him to get in and he changes moods :/

    3. Idk if you remember how bad spirit was, took 2 different days and about 6 hours combined to get him in when we picked him up...& near the end there he auto loaded as well! Only took 2 years to learn that it won't eat him

    4. Hmm. Well then boo for non food motivated beasts!! Oh yes, I do remember that about him now, his one fault early on! Well hopefully time will be on your side again, I think the way you're going about it now (Tranqs and just exposure) is really the only way to get it fixed with B. I know how nerve wracking it is to have a bad loader though ugh.

  7. Everything happens for a reason <3 You guys look like you really had a nice ride in the end after all!

  8. Poor Levi!! He is giving you the evil eye!! So cute!

    I'm sorry you didn't get to take Bacardi but it sounds like it was for the best. That would have been absolutely miserable!!

    Love the pictures in the wheat field!!!

  9. Bummer about the trailering but It seems like it worked out for the best. Glad you had an awesome ride in the fields, looks like a blast!