Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Are You There Vodka? Its Me, Monica.


Wow, amazing what a whiny rant on your blog, a wedding, a bonfire, heavy drinking (seriously so much drinking. Felt like college.) and a few days (like 9) can do for one's sanity. So therapeutic.

Last week, I am sure my close friends all thought I was crazy when I stated in text that I was done done with horses but I assure you, that was desperation talking, not me. Apologies, friends--you know who you are.


Thank you internet friends, for all your kind comments. I don't think you know how helpful all of you  are in times of frustration and sadness. When Yankee had surgery it was the only thing that kept me grounded. That and real life friends, but SERIOUSLY, I love bloggers.

Now that my emotions had time to recover and realize winter season is most likely not going to be as magical as first thought, I've been able to formulate a plan going forward. My plan is to not form a plan because HORSES RUIN THEM.

Until yesterday, B had been 100% 3 legged lame with a heel rash to boot, thanks to constant wrapping. V has been a doll, taking care of it while I was out of town and hand grazing him during the days this week so he got out twice a day (once w me and once with her). He's gone slightly mad and almost killed me on our walks, but is dealing with it better than expected. I really thought we would have to ace him just so he didn't mangle himself or us...

Just think of the most insanely needy giant chestnut manchild--thats him. Besides assaulting me for kisses, loves and treats, he's been holding up his leg whenever anyone looks his way, acting like its been physically cut off of him and he's dying. Quite the drama queen.

Halp, dying
I was finally able to get to the tack store yesterday and took the suggestions of the internet and bought a Davis medicine boot. Not only did it work for soaking (praise the lort), but he was MUCH less lame with it on versus the diaper/duct tape wrap. Interesting. 

Considering he literally climbed me to get out of his stall & hand walking was not working to keep him sane (MANNERS CHILD), I decided to snag the only empty paddock and toss him out there for a little bit and see what happened.

Worst thing that could happen is that the boot would come off and I would have to spend the next 40 minutes cleaning and disinfecting the foot. Whatever. He needed to get out of prison. I figured there was no way he would run around on a lame leg.

maximum derp speed

WRONG.

Ok. So, dumb horse is dumb. I assure you, he is still 95% lame and I don't really understand how he cantered, but he did. Evidence on my instagram. He did immediately regret the decision, and it was quite comical. 

YAY FUN IM A HORSE DERP DERP IM FREE YAY

OH MY GOD, WHAT IS THIS MALFUNCTION 
I couldn't help but laugh. Only my horse would forget he was near dead lame and run around in the paddock like a dumbass and then stumble and limp and do it all over again. Whatever B, glad you're enjoying yourself. He continued to hobble around for another ten minutes or so, then settled to graze. He really seemed happy to be out, and I'm pleased he didn't tear around too much and got to get out for a little bit with only mild crazies. I don't blame him though, he's been inside over a week with just hand grazing. Not quite the 20 acre field he's grown accustomed to, but this at least gets him outside! 

Still somehow looks fancy....

DERP
MOAR REGRET

Moving forward, he will get an hour of turnout each day (if he can behave) and then I will hand graze in the evenings. I'm going to test the durability of that boot and keep using it until its not needed, however long that is.  Solid $40 purchase though.

Hopefully, gradually, he will get back to normal and we can at least hack out at the walk. I fear the thought of his already sad topline disappearing completely...




14 comments:

  1. i need one of those boots. you put stuff in it to soak? like instead of the who-are-we-kidding-never-works bucket?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yasssss. It worked so well! I put it on and treated him. Repeated. Then I poured the epsom salt mixture into it and closed up. Treated and had him stand there. He didn't even move (notorious for flailing with buckets). Then, I emptied out, dried and put back on for turnout with magic cushion packed in his foot. GET ONE. I bought it at TSC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the boot is working out for B(and you!). Totally worth the $'s and I also do small turnout with it on to keep the crazy at bay...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you've found an acceptable compromise so he can get outside for a bit! Sending you jingles for speedy healing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd suggest reserpine or fluphenazine to help him mentally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to know about the boot! Glad to hear you are hanging in there, I'm rooting for your equine life to give you a nice breather with the injuries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hoping it all works out and you'll be back up riding where you belong!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so awesome that the boot worked so well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I friggin love the Big Lebowski so that gif brought me so much joy. Glad to hear you found an great boot, hope he's all healed up soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. He's so cute with his pathetic about to die drama-ness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL this made me laugh because I also have one just like this

    ReplyDelete
  12. That boot is awesome! I'm glad it helped and he was able to get outside.

    ReplyDelete