Monday, October 17, 2016

Monday Morning Minutes

I hope all of you had wonderful weekends! Mine was relaxing and productive in the ways of gym, school and work. Yay for never resting even when you're resting.

Quick catch up on weekend activities and things of note;

1. Unless you live under an actual rock, or in the middle of the boondocks with no internet or cell service, you know the shit show that erupted after this (and so.many.others) photo showed up shortly after ML Xc round at Fair Hill.

Yep. Thats blood. Again.

Sweet Jesus, again? This is the 4th documented occasion from ML in a short amount of time (a year or so I think, someone fact check me here), second on this particular horse and its just...so extra.

My favorite comments so far have been one special looney who said all the photos were photoshopped (impossible, considering it would have to have been done in real time, from a camera, LULZ--obvs a conspiracy amirite), SEVERAL people who still call us all "haters" for jumping her throat--pleading an "accident"-- LULZ OKAY, and the others who say "the procedures were followed and the rules were enforced"...HAHAHAHA. Okay, fair enough, but IF 'the rules were followed' then there was ALSO a coverup involved...not to mention her groom who wiped the blood away with a black towel immediately following the XC round. I smell something fishy. Thinking certain organizations don't want to mar their image or their special ML with scandal, but the scandal is here and we are furious. 

I honestly hope Amanda uses her loud blogging voice and rallies the people, again. Almost fruitless last time (JESUS, why was there a last time?? Enough already ML!), but we need a rallying point and I now she can get it done. There's no "witch hunt" here this time either. Its a goddamn protest and it needs to be loud. How can someone get away with this, REPEATEDLY? The worst part? She won on this horse. ABHORRENT.

Lets let our voices be heard on this one.

On a lighter and more positive note....

2. V and Yankee competed this weekend and it went well! A farm near us was holding some fun CT's and riders were allowed to enter 2 divisions if they wanted, or do 1-3 dressage tests and one SJ round. V chose to enter the BN and N CT in preparation for Novice Team Challenge next weekend. 

She has REALLY been amazing the last 4 weeks, and has been working her butt off on the flat. We have a lesson together every Friday, and she also participated in a Dressage clinic a few weeks ago. Her scores unfortunately did not reflect her massive progress on the flat, as they were LITERALLY cutting trees down during her test. Like actually felling trees next to her ring. WTFFF, why?! I don't care how seasoned your horse is, thats bound to create some tension. Though I was proud her transition were smooth, it was more accurate than usual and well ridden... overall a large improvement from previous tests. Even the judge gave her condolences on the tests, which was at least nice of her to note. Regardless, she still placed well in both CT's, with double clear rounds in SJ and came out 2nd out of 3 in N and 4th out of 11 in BN. Good job guys, next weekend you'll kick butt :)


3. You might have noticed that Yankee is clipped too! YAS, its the best time of year--Clipping season!! Not only is it close to the actual best time of year (hallowthanksmas), but I generally get some additional income clipping horses and I ADORE coming up with designs for the boys. Also, the temps are skyrocketing into the 80s for this week (WHY) and their coats are heavy already because in normal circumstances it would be 40/50 instead of 80. Poor B was sweating in his stall today!

For this round, I keep it classy, since V has one more USEA show for the year and I don't know what design she wants anyways. Also, he kept stomping the flies like a total princess, even with fly spray, and even with a super steady hand....I made some mistakes. I simply cannot live with even one small nick in a perfect line so he got this weird swoopy, yet pretty high trace clip design. You could almost call it a blanket clip at this point...

majestic AF

B just got a very uninteresting low front bib trace, since he's stalled and not in work. Eventually he will get a high blanket clip with a super badass design. If any of you know what I'm planning, KEEP A LID ON IT.

4. B's foot.


He's enjoying his limited turnout time and stall rest like a gentlemen, and actually is about 75% sound at this time! No more awkward shuffling and limping, only a slight head bob! Progress. To keep him entertained I've been taking him on short walks, giving him short turnout and also getting back to trick training. He LOVES it, and it worked his brain. Win win. I also think he might have gained some weight thanks to barn staff stuffing his face full of hay 24/7 and not being in work. Not complaining.

Minus his evaporating topline, he looks damn good, AND weight-bearing!
I did mildly freak out yesterday when I changed his bandage to find a larger hole and some bloody discharge coming out of said hole. I immediately texted the farrier (sorry fam, I know its Sunday, ILY IM SORRY) with my typical ask-the-professional-a-million-questions and he calmly assured me all was well and on track to healing. Apparently leakage and blood is a good thing and shows its clearing up, sealing and healing?? Whatever you say farrier, I still am freaked out...


I don't know if you can see/are interested in the blood, but its there. Just kinda mixed with clear fluid. BLEH GROSS. Also I really hate how magic cushion over time stains the hoof black...looks like dried blood to me. ANYWAYS, he IS getting better but god bless, I miss riding. I've ridden once in 3 weeks thanks to previous mild injuries and now this...just wanna ride. The boot has seriously been a lifesaver though, mad props to whomever suggested that to me!

5. Gel nails. I got them done for the wedding I was in last weekend and HOLY MOLY. After 8 days of wrapping, grooming, clipping and other barn work plus the gym, they haven't even been damaged. Not one chip. What is this sorcery?? Even OPI and home gel nails only last 3-4 days...color me late to the party.

I know most of us barn girls are generally content to be....dirty? Unkempt? Whatever. For the most part, I am unkempt and essentially live in yoga pants and oversize t shirts. But I do LOVE doing my nails. Its one of the few girly things is consistent with me. Sure, I do my makeup for going out, and somehow my hair always looks awesome, when really I'm testing the limits of dry shampoo. but nails? Gotta be painted. No exceptions. For one, it covers the dirt that builds up at the barn and if I need to run to the grocery or out to eat right after and without be able to get them perfectly clean I am not totally embarrassed/grossed out because the polish hides it. Second, I  just really like my nails being done. Pretty. Colors. Sparkles. NEED.

These gel nails are legit. Too bad they cost the same as a 50lb bag of fat supp for the boys. Hope they last a little longer, I'm in love!

Anyways,

Here's to a new week and a happy Monday!

26 comments:

  1. Gel is the ONLY way I'll get my nails done. Regular nail polish lasts exactly 0.75 days on my hands, between work and the barn and everything else. I will gladly pay a little more to have a gel manicure last at least 3 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe someday...I tried it a few years back in MO and they didn't last very long at all which is weird. I wanna see how long these last!!

      Delete
  2. The ML thing irked me. I specifically remember seeing somewhere on Facebook that went something like this: Some judges saw blood in the horse's mouth a few jumps from home, and the ground jury decided to let her finish, 'so as not to disrupt her round' and sort it out at the vet check. I seem to remember years ago, Becky Holder (?) got pulled a few jumps from home with blood on her gray horse's sides that they eventually said, "whups, he cut himself sliding through that nasty fake brush, it wasn't from your spurs, and he's gray so it showed. Sorry we pulled you but you're still eliminated since we didn't let you finish". I also think something is fishy, especially with the number of times her horses have had blood in their mouths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the horse really is just biting her tongue, maybe they need to look into different bitting/bridling choices so it STOPS HAPPENING.

      Delete
    2. Could not agree more with ALL points

      Delete
    3. It's even a little worse than this. The blood was reported as early as fence 12 by some fence judges. The Ground Jury says they weren't able to get eyes on her until 22. That's a lot of time, on a 3* course. The photos I've seen so far are from fence 10, 12, and 21, and they all very clearly show blood.

      Delete
    4. Oh I know. Its ridiculous and shouts loudly to me that they were flat out ignoring it. Major eyeroll.

      Delete
  3. So glad B is on the mend and that Yanks and V had a great show! also SUPER excited to see your clip design this year, I want to do something fun on my pony's butt but I need some inspiration! And as far as nails go, last year I got on the Jamberry train and haven't gotten off since. Obsessed. They last 2 full weeks and come in SO MANY FUN PATTERNS. Plus cheaper than getting gels done and not as destructive to your actual nails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a good weekend :D And I will have to try those. Without googling, if I remember correctly those are the press on things? Like wallpaper but for nails?

      Delete
    2. Yes and they are surprisingly amazing! I was a gel nails girl until I couldn't afford it and tried the jamberrys for kicks and giggles. Been a year now and I haven't looked back

      Delete
  4. i was fence judging at 21 (right after the first call on the radio that someone needed to look at the horses mouth) and i was like "i see blood" before she was really ANYWHERE NEAR MY JUMP and i was like "...." waiting for them to tell me to pull her up and control was like "we've notified the appropriate people"

    and then the next FOUR jump judges all mentioned it and were like "....." waiting to be told to pull her up

    im just tired of her and tired of this being a thing. and i'm annoyed she won. the blood was seen before a very convenient stopping point. hold her, take the time, check the horse, and continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT?! At LEAST pull her up and inspect and if deemed fine, let her continue. The Beck Holder example is such a (sadly) perfect example of a double standard. Even worse, blood was on his knee, not mouth. So disgusted.

      Delete
    2. Do you know who the TD is? I've heard whisperings but I don't know if what I heard is true or not.

      Delete
  5. Had to comment on the nails because I just got gel nails too for the first time ever and I'm in love! Mine lasted a whole two weeks, it was magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it stays strong. I am amazed that the only thing that looks off is the growth

      Delete
  6. That's the one down side to y job, no fake nails. Some try to pass the gels by, but really, if I can't have fun colors, it's not worth the cash. They are amazeballs though. Glad B is healing, clear/ bloody clear drainage is the goods stuff that keep junk from collecting in wounds, it just looks worrisome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can have fun colors?? That is sadness. the louder the better IMO. I am relieved to hear that the coloration is GOOD. I did freak for a moment

      Delete
  7. I, too, love hallowthanksmas. Love it.
    Also, love gel manicures. I got mine done for my wedding 3 years ago and have not been able to stop. I have tried, but my nails are always ripping and tearing in painful spots. I found a girl who does a great job and my gel mani usually lasts AT LEAST 4 weeks. Sometimes I stretch it 6 weeks if I have a light color. Also glitter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yay to V and Yanks!! as to point #1.... i'm really discouraged in a couple different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to use my (loud annoying overbearing) blogger voice to rally people again, but a) I said what I had to say last year, and I stand by every word. b) the internet is already pretty fucking pissed off without me having to stir the pot, c) if I'm always the one standing up and screaming about it the loudest, it DOES start to look like a witch hunt on my part. Have no fear, I will post about it, but not until Wednesday, and I'm not sure that it'll be the brimstone and fire that you're looking for. I mean... what else is there even to say at this point besides what the fuck? And I refuse to let this overshadow what was otherwise an awesome weekend at the YEH Championships for me. She gets last priority, because that's what she's worth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I respect that! But I do like your brimstone and fire ;)

      Delete
  10. I feel bad for my hubs because a lot of my anger about ML was discussed with him after I saw that she had a bloodied horse AGAIN. That's not his jam, it makes him angry as well (more-so that it is all political and nothing has been done about it) but he was the only one around, so he got to hear all about it. And seriously, the black fluffy shadow roll on the underside on RF Demeter? Are they trying to not look suspicious, because they aren't doing a very good job of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its been three weeks for me to girl and its killin me. I CAN"T EVEN DO YOGA. Well I kinda gain but its mostly a pain in the ass and not relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely a little clean blood (no pus) is a good sign

    ReplyDelete