Saturday, December 18, 2010

Dressage School Dissection

What a looooong day today, but good. I got up at 6am to feed the horses today, after that ate breakfast real quick then went to work from 8am to 330pm. Straight from work Brandon and I went to the barn to feed again and clean stalls and whatnot. He's such a helper!

I thought it'd be fun to teach Brandon how to free lunge Yankee so that in the future if I need him to work Yankee he could and it was....interesting, haha. Poor Yanks was SO confused with what Brandon was asking. Yanks is so used to my body language and my cues that he kept stopping or turning around or looking over to me...it was pretty funny. Brandon got the hang of the cues and how to hold his body but by that time Yankee learned he could take pretty good advantage of him. Better next time!

A very unflattering picture of me and my tall striped winter socks.

Today Yankee was a very good pony with one MIIIINOR issue which I think might actually need chiropractor work rather than more schooling. He is wicked stiff to the left especially at the canter. Its almost like when I ask him to bend he just CAN'T. I hope I can figure this out since I hate to think of my fantastical ponyface in pain.

But anyways...time for a dissection of today's ride.


In this picture you can't really see his back legs but from the front you can see he is actively moving forward with a good pep in his step. He is ok on the bit, but from the look on his face (either he is listening to me or a little upset) and the slight hollow in his back (look right behind the saddle pad-instead of being round, its dipped slightly down. Not good) you can tell it's not a true connection throughout. His poll is the highest point though which is good. My position is good too, since sometimes I have a tendency to tip forward (lack of riding and my hunter days coming back to haunt me). My knee and heel are up, but thats because I was asking him to move sideways here. Other wise I'm sitting up straight, but not looking ahead, shame shame.

I like this picture here of his trot. He is a little low in the head but I'm not too concerned about that. Unlike the last picture he is using his back more here (there is no dip behind the saddle pad if you look close, however it looks as if he is hollow simply because of his conformation. Yanks has a little hunters bump which I consider mostly aesthetic value..
It may give him problems later but it hasnt yet.) and looks very relaxed over his topline. He is swinging forward stellar too. I also look pretty good, straight for me. NIIIICE.

A Hunters bump.

I can pretty much say the same for this picture too with the exception that he is even MORE round over his back and swinging even more with his haunches. But FOR SHAME on me for looking down, again.

Here's a pretty good example of my problem....EEEK! And Yanks also is hollow and lagging, fail for both of us.

And here is what happens EVERYTIME I ask for the right lead canter. UGH. For about a two years he has done this now. Lately I've discovered he hollows less if I 2-point and use more inside as well as outside leg and half release inside rein when I ask, which is what I am doing here (pretty good one at that). This helps him balance a bit more and not rush into it, even though he throws his head straight in the air. He usually settles immediately into the canter though

This is a nice picture of his left lead canter. He is showing self carriage which is cool :) My only complaint is my position, I am a little forward.

Here is my wonderful horsey boyfriend walking my horse out :) Yankee loves him!

No comments:

Post a Comment