Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The # 9

The number 9 is not usually a daunting number, and actually it is one of my favorites. I consider all numerals of 3 to be lucky, especially, 3, 6, and 9. (I always manage to get one of those three numbers in my bridle # for shows.)

9 is the natural number following 8 and preceding 10. Nine is a composite number, its proper divisors being 1 and 3. It is 3 times 3 and hence the third square number . It is the first composite lucky number..

But this is the first time I have ever been worried about the number 9. See, it's Yankee's new age this year. Officially, by Jockey Club standards he turned 9 on the New Year even though his real birthday isn't until March.

Mot horse people would consider 9 a good age for a horse, still young and vibrant, but I am fearful of it for one reason-WE HAVE ONLY EVER OFFICIALLY COMPETED AT TRAINING LEVEL. I KNOW he has the potential to be successful as a preliminary horse and even intermediate, but I am starting to have doubts about a 4* competitor. We have the basics down but we just need to pull everything together.

He is NINE! To me he should be much farther along in his competitive career at 9 then training level. I know 6 and 7 year old horses that are at prelim or higher already. I guess the biggest problem has been money. I am not rich by any means and half my time has been spent working to make enough to scrape by, let alone have $$ for shows-wich leaves not much time for schooling or showing. Sometimes I wish I was rich and could buy what I want, but more so, I feel lucky to have worked for it all, knowing I did it and no one else. That DOES make me proud, but I get discouraged SO easily.

I thought I did the right thing going to college, but I also feel it led me back two whole years too. I don't think I'm where I should be for a 20 year old eventer. I envy those 17-18 yr old Young riders who are already successful. I Know what to do, I just don't have the means yet...

I have so many thoughts swirling in my head right now, too many to type, so I will leave it at that. My rant probably seems jumbled and doesn't make too much sense either but it felt good to get it out there.

I do see hope in many places though, including this horse who remarkably resembles my horse.
.

Conformation and technique wise. His name is Clifton Promise and is a very successful eventer in NZ. He id no. 1 in NZ, and placed 7th at the WEG's. Conformation wise especially, I worry at times for fear Yankee lacks strength, but looking at Promise, I have more hope :D

No comments:

Post a Comment