Sunday, January 2, 2011

Dressage Again


Ok so I still don't have this youtube video thing down yet...I wanted this lower in the post, but whateves...and I wanted the video above this post on this one....GRRRR. Anyways, read on!

After a day of jump schooling, it is time for yet another dressage day. I got a wild hair up my bum and thought it would be cool to try to video tape our rides (with no one else there) like eventer79 does...I dont have a tripod, buuuut I did have a ledge! It worked surprisingly well!

Yankee was a gem today. Couldnt have asked for a more responsive, relaxed horsey...






With one random freak out moment!!

So one wild hair aside, Yankee was absolutely perfection today (in my eyes). I warmed him up free lunging as usual, then got on and schooled a lot of random movements, many figure 8's, half circles, etc. I don't want him getting too bored in the indoor and those seemed to keep his attention.

I wanted to revisit side-passes today since we had been having mucho trouble with them before break. As with last dressage school, I focused hard on centered riding and relaxation in my body and quick, clear aids. The cross over action was brilliant (not grand prix brilliant but Yankee brilliant) and he stayed pretty straight. Amazing what relaxation and clearness can bring you.

A little by accident too today, Yankee performed his very first lead change with me asking him to do so. It. Was. Awesome. I was doing a teardrop formation, starting off on the left (or right lead), 15 meter half circle then across the diagonal...I was trying to school counter canter but we just weren't communicating well enough and he was either falling out of the canter, or switching behind. So I decided to see if I could get him to fully switch on command. In the corner I simply switched leg aids and BAM! lead change. I was stunned! I never schooled lead changes because he does them automatically jumping and our dressage tests don't require us to. So, I tried it again...and BAM! lead change again! All together Yankee performed 4 lead changes pretty ok. He is better coming off right lead to left, but really for the first time asking, I was really happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment